Monday, November 3, 2008

Image boards

I came into this project with the intention of addressing the well known issue of cluttered playthings. I originally wanted to design something that would encourage children to take initiatives when it comes to the organization of their own toys.
After spending some time understanding the logistics of such a problem, I began to realize that the lack of motivation for children to cleanup is partially due to the flawed systems of furniture and rules in which they are required abide by. While the method of discipline (developed by parents) still plays a pivotal role in habits of cleanliness for children, (an aspect that is does not permit me to interject), I do believe that a well designed collection of storage function that is tailored for the use of children, by children, can provide a considerable amount of positive impact in the way which children play and clean up.

Here are some image boards to help kick start the form and function development phase:





Initial sketches




Target market




Precedent




Inspiration




I like the idea of "pods" and how (other than space ships) it alludes to something organic and natural. I think its a fun theme to work in for children's design because it somehow has a inherit "fantastical" meaning along with the shape, ("Jack and the Bean Stock" maybe?). This hint magic and surrealism would, I believe, fit snuggly with the playful and imaginative nature of children.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

http://www.box4blox.com/

Not the Lego vacuum thing I was telling you about earlier.. but still kind of neat!